Calling all foster youth ages 18-24! Dancers, visual artists, poets, writers, musicians, creators, dreamers, activists, ~ any enthusiastic individual who is willing to try new things!
Foster Up: Bringing Foster Youth, Artists, Health and Wellness together
|Fellowship Recruitment Begins||December 11, 2021|
|Fellowship Application Opens||December 2021 – February 2022|
|Deadline for submission||February 28i, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. PST|
|Panel Review||Late February / Early March 2022|
|Participant Notification||March 11, 2022|
|Fellowship Agreements signed||April 11, 2022|
|Fellowship Period||March 2022 – November 2022|
|Final Report||December 12, 2022|
8-month residency (Not full-time, schedule will be jointly discussed.)
2 guest artists (mentors) and 2 foster youth (with 1 on 1 mentorship) opportunities are available
Student age 18-24: Exposure to other artists in the presence of their mentor
Artists: Individualized program
Foster youth from Watts/Willowbrook
$2,000 x 2 to foster youth and $4,500 x 2 to each artist residency
Focused on providing an enriching experience for MLK, the recipient and HDD.
- In association with Heidi Duckler Dance (HDD) FOSTER UP program:
- Summary: HDD believes innovation in the youth foster care sphere is critical to the future development and long-term growth of the youth. Exposure to the arts is key to assuring them a strong, successful transition to adulthood and freeing them from the intergenerational cycle of foster care, poverty, and hopelessness. FOSTER UP provides opportunities for foster care youth to develop their cultural literacy, confidence, creativity, and educational goals. The goals of FOSTER UP align perfectly with Dr. Kerry English’s life-long dedication to both foster and abused youth as well as to the arts.
- Based at the MLK Outpatient Center. Key Contact: Dr. Janet Arnold Clark
- Recipients work on special HDD arts project at MLK
- Learn methodology of HDD, apply theory to practice
- Learn about Dr. English
- Public presentation
How to Apply – FOSTER YOUTH ONLY*
Artists are selected by Founder/Artistic Director Heidi Duckler
Foster Youth ages 18-24 based in Watts/Willowbrook preferred
No experience in the arts necessary but an interest is required
Fellows must be available March 2022 – November 2022
2. biography or resume
3. letter of support (from teacher, judge, mentor or a peer)
4. a personal statement explaining why the applicant is interested and what they hope to gain
Please send as one PDF named “Lastname_Firstname Fellowship.pdf” to DrEnglishFellowship@heididuckler.org
Applicant Finalists will be contacted to schedule a phone/videoconferencing interview
The application must be submitted online no later than 4 p.m. PST on February 28,
2022. Submissions received after that time will not be accepted.
Applicants who are approved for funding enter into an agreement with HDD.
Fellowship agreements must be signed and returned within 30 days to initiate
For More Information
HDD welcomes all questions regarding this program. For more information, contact: Debra J.T. Padilla, Senior Advisor, email@example.com
Please check out our website! https://heididuckler.org/
And follow us on social media!